One of Williamstown's oldest watering holes, The Stags Head was originaly licensed in 1849 and replaced by a new brick building in 1887 by Mr Brew the licensee. It was the first such establishment to be built in order to comply with the provisions of the Amended Licensing Act. It remains to this day much the same with some minor alterations to the interior. Like most pubs of the day it provided accommodation and had the latest Alcock billiard tables. The hotel has seen numerous publicans come and go over its 130 years.